Friday, May 14, 2010

Ask The CI: Grownup Zits (It's Friday so I'm doing it budget beauty style.)

Oh MEG! For your birthday I am writing about your zits! Happy Birthday Week!

One of my big stupid harp on it themes is moisturizer. And when you are having breakout you probably use less, which makes your skin produce more oil, which then gets caught on the uneven surface and makes more zits. Awesomeness. SO!

1. Keep it clean. Wash morning and night. Put some face wipes next to the bed so you do it. I like Ponds Orginal Clean Wet Cleansing Towelettes or Ponds Clean Sweep, Micro Dermabrasion Wet Cleansing Towelettes (for adult acne these are genius.)




2. Exfoliate. Like twice a week with a grainy scrub, or mask, or hell, use the Ponds Clean Sweep, Micro Dermabrasion Wet Cleansing Towelettes that I mentioned above every night. Or: Neutrogena Acne Stress Control, Power-Clear Scrub.



3. MOISTURIZE! Day and night. Without fail. Skin loves habit....if you are consistent with treatment, your skin will be consistent.Aveeno Active Naturals Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer SPF-15 is a great one because it has calming in the name and a little spf.



4. Spot Treat. Put something on those bad boys the minute you feel the itch of a new zit. You could try Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Eliminating Spot Gel or any clay mask. But for the clay mask just put it on the zits....NOT ALL OVER. It will dry you out like crazy. I use an Olay Clay Mask that I have had so long it doesn't exist anywhere on the web. It's blue and in a tube and I'm pissed if it's discontinued. Oh, well. Just make sure it has the words "clay" and "acne" on the tube.


2 comments:

Crackpot Samizdat said...

I know it's a total bummer that nobody likes, but after years of trying everything from homeopathic treatments to conventional wisdom to hardcore cocktails of prescription meds to little avail, I cut all grains and sugar out of my diet, as well as most booze, and surprise, my skin is wash-and-wear perfect.

Holy. Crap.

Jan Smelk said...

I totally meant to mention that aspect of problem skin. Drink more water. Eat more greens and less cupcakes and stop carting ass to the bar everynight! Thanks Crackpot! xo