Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ask The CI: Mineral Makeup: Bullshit or Awesome?

Ugh. First off, I hate mineral makeup. I think it is mostly hype and scare tactics and generally looks like crap on the skin. Unless it's fake mineral makeup, then it looks somewhat better but you might be losing all that "natural" goodness. Basically mineral makeup takes out the talc, the parabens, the perfumes, and some of the binders or colors that can irritate the skin. Good for you, mineral makeup. Usually this comes in a loose powder form, applied with a brush (better wash that brush everyday...there are way more scary things that can grow in a dirty brush than talc.) which makes skin look dry and ashy. If it has a crushed pearl finish and looks ok, that is one of the ones that is a fake (that pearl finish is man-made). The real stuff that is good for you sucks. And PS there are some people like me that are sensitive to titanium dioxide and zinc oxide (the basis of a lot of these guys) so who the hell cares if they are anti-inflammatory. And they reflect the shit out of a camera flash so I hope you want to look like a ghost!

I found this article that is a little bit more polite and informative.

DUDE! Talc has been around since before Jesus! Get the eff over it! Ok. I promise to calm down.

Stuff that looks good and has some of the qualities of true mineral makeup:
Laura Mercier Mineral Finishing Powder 



All the Mercier mineral stuff is the best I've come across....they have shadow and blush and some pretty sparkle powder too. The Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Loose Powder Foundation ain't too shabby either.



Maybe I am just a defensive bitch, but every product I put into the cosmetics database freak out site came out with a hazard quotient of like 6 out of 10. Pretty impressive. Some of it was mineral stuff too. Now, I do have to admit Jane Iredale stuff came up between 1 and 3 on the OMFG-I'm-gonna-die scale. So if you are concerned, ignore me and visit Jane. She will make you feel better.

Big Ups to Pat for the question. Sorry Pat, you got me on a rant! Put a quarter in me and I'll just go on and on.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks! I love your rants!

Stephanie Elise said...

I completely agree with you on the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder. I've actually used it on a few photo shoots with out "ghostly"results. Really, it depends on the lighting and flash photography will exaggerate the hideousness of most other mineral powder products.