Saturday, November 15, 2008

Let's Do the Numbers

So the company stock is down to around $4 after being down almost 17% in October. Just found out that 95% of the employees in high-end apparel have already taken cuts in their base pay and gone down to a four-day workweek. So what's next? Will there be lay-offs before the holidays? There is a noticeable lack of customer traffic today, and only the employee voices are echoing in the vast space above cosmetics. There is the smell of burnt nerves.

Speaking of, SoCal is on fire again. Everywhere. Lots of people have lost their homes a week and a half before Thanksgiving. LA County is in a state of emergency. And here I am, selling lipstick. Or trying to.

I was reminded today of an evening almost a year ago, when I went to see a revival of "Funny Girl" with my friend CN. They actually had an intermission and as I went to the bathroom I felt like everyone was looking at me. And they were. I thought it was because I looked fabulous, but in fact it was because I had mistaken my lip balm for a BRIGHT RED LIPSTICK and smeared it all over my lip area. I looked like a clown/Baby Jane/cannibal. Thanks for bringing back that little nugget of awesome, CN.

Featured Product I Want To Sell/Buy: La Prarie's The Art of the Bath! Four small candles, Unscented bath gel, unscented bath oil, and 8 different natural oils you can add and combine to make your perfect scent. Flavors include eucalyptus, oriental spices, grapefruit, lavender, and cassis. It also comes with a little mixing bowl! Adorable! All this for just $500.

I have an arch nemesis at work, who we'll call Krazy. It's a little difficult to write about, here on the register as she is everywhere all at once, all the time. Today's instance of absolute Krazy: she approached a customer at Bobbi Brown, who was looking for an eyeshadow. When she noticed a couple girls handling the jar of La Creme at Cle de Peau she ditched the Bobbi customer and went to help the other girls because she knew it would be a bigger sale. Krazy has no concept of what makes good customer service. The best part is she couldn't answer any specific questions about La Creme. She just kept repeating "It's the best." What an asshole.

On a happier note: I have a hot date with EG and her husband at The Formosa Cafe tonight. Hopefully my date won't be too tired to have fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I promise to make our date tonight extra magical. Vodka,
Vodka and more Vodka. I might even give it up after
dessert. Uuummmm, we should have dessert tonight.

Big Tall Okie said...

You are both gross...and say hi to the Formosa for me and T!!! Tell it we really miss it and it was the best with you and your date.

grassvalleysally said...

thanks for this marvelously entertaining excuse to avoid work while giving every impression I'm beating my brains out. libraries - huge assortment, zero investment, self-congratulatory vibe; also, you need to use bookmarks, can't pass great book immediately off to friend, and, OK, a slight mustiness, but I think that adds. as long as you're into series, do all the Jane Austins. seriously. don't think about it, just do it. she's totally pulling a fast one on everybody. wish there was an answer for the retail cosmetics melt down. salsa comes close (the dance, not the food). I can see you and tpm rockin' it. can you say "bachata"?

toothpickmoe said...

I was so tired. But I pulled it out. Was it just me or was everyone but C behind the bar hopped up on goof-balls?

Doot Doo said...

Seriously TPM, why do you insist on phrases such as above? TPM is giving TMI and I wouldn't think that appropriate at the dinner table, no matter how tired you were.

Heh heh, she said clown baby...