Saturday, October 10, 2009

Free Shit on Amazon

So the real trap of the Kindle is the free content.Oh, sure, you can get the classics for free, but what about new stuff? Well, you get what you pay for. "My Soul to Lose" was my first mistake. I didn't find out it was a Teen Harlequin, and just the first forty or so pages until after I downloaded it. But I read it. It was about a girl who could sense when people were just about to die. And when she would see this person, who was about to croak, she would scream uncontrollably and freak out. This happens at the mall and our main character is taken to the mental hospital. Some basic mental hospital things happen (i.e. cool roommate, bad doctor, weird food, hot guy) and then the thing ENDED. And I could not look myself in the face if I bought this piece of tripe. So I spend nights thinking about how it could have middled and ended. Found out last week there are two more in the series. Oh. My. God.

My second mistake was "Snowbound." I'm not putting in author names to protect the guilty. And I can't be bothered to reload the books and find out who they are. Imagine, if you will, being the young inspired teacher who is driving her Mathletes back to Portland Oregon from a long division competition, and hitting a blizzard in the mountains. Her nerves are frayed when they find a lodge in the forest whose owner is willing to put everyone up until someone can come and dig them out. The Lodge Owner Dude is a veteran suffering from PTSD. I mean, who isn't these days. Iraq and his love of children (GAG) fucked him up so badly that he must now be alone in the mountains with his thoughts instead of the famous engineer he was in his previous life. Teacher and LOD fall in love while taking care of naughty high schoolers for the weekend. Duh. And then there is some sort of misunderstanding when she gets back to the city that makes them not talk for a while. Then he gets therapy and she moves in. The End. Horrid. Read it in like 5 hours.

I'll leave my third mistake for my next entry....Paranoia, by Joseph Finder. Awful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I looooooved your book reviews. I thought I was the only one who will read anything. LOL. I am a total book slut and if desperate or just bored, will read everything you put in front of me, including awful, cheesy Sandra Brown romance novels from the eighties sent to me by my mom, who knows me too well. And absolutely nothing makes me more angry than books that just end without resolution. I have vowed off all Anita Shreve for this reason. I've been burned too many times.

Your Kindle sounds awesome. :)